General Campus Policies and Procedures

58 First Amendment Expressive Speech

Part 1: State Law

  • Passed in the 2019 Oklahoma Legislature, signed by the Governor, effective August 30, 2019. Available at ยง70-2120.
  • In brief, the law requires that on public college and university campuses in Oklahoma, the campus community and the public may use unrestricted accessible outdoor green spaces for non-commercial expressive activities because this space is now by statute considered a traditional public forum, which can be used unless it materially and substantially disrupts the College subject to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions.
  • This law is consistent with historical federal guidance regarding 1st Amendment protected events on this issue, but also requires:

Part 2: College Policy

Part 3: Expectations

  • Guide outdoor visitors to the right resources on the website.
  • Campus police can greet outdoor expressive speech visitors with a Visitor Information Card.

Part 4: Frequently Asked Questions

  • The College designates the following indoor facilities as unavailable for Expressive Activity: administrative offices, laboratories, and classrooms.
  • The public may reserve these indoor campus facilities. Requests should be made to the director of each venue.
  • The public and MSC employees may reserve outdoor space by contacting the Vice President for Student Affairs office at 580-387-7131 or by emailing
  • MSC students may reserve both indoor and outdoor space by contacting the Vice President for Student Affairs office at 580-387-7131 or by emailing
  • The campus community and the public may use generally accessible outdoor areas for non-commercial expressive activities on a first come, first served basis without giving prior notice if the activity does not materially and substantially disrupt the function of the College, as defined by state law.
  • Time, place, and manner restrictions are in effect. Please read the policy in its entirety. Examples include:
  • No items may be attached in any manner to trees, bushes, benches, light poles, buildings, vehicles, or permanent signs.

Non-commercial pamphlets, handbills, fliers, and other written materials may be distributed on a person-to-person basis in open areas outside of the building if done in a way to avoid substantial littering on the campus.


Murray State College Student Handbook 2023-2024 Copyright © 2023 by Murray State College Academic and Student Affairs. All Rights Reserved.